Microsoft SharePoint Explained
Microsoft SharePoint is a content management system and web application platform that works in your browser and gives organisations the functionality to create a framework for an online intranet network or a website. SharePoint was developed by Microsoft and is a safe environment in which you can collaborate and in which you can share company information.
An important concept is the libraries in which documents can be stored. The stored documents can be enriched with metadata that are linked to a document. Not only Office documents can be stored in SharePoint but in fact any digital object or file. Other functionalities that exist in SharePoint for the exchange of information include forums, surveys, tasks and diaries. The aim is that information can be shared with the right person in your organisation.
You can store, organise and share documents and files online. Your websites content is accessible from any device with a web browser. Organisations can configure SharePoint for intranet portals, extranet and websites. You must see SharePoint as a central, secure platform where groups can work together and where data management can be streamlined.
MS SharePoint Components
MS SharePoint consists of the following components:
- Windows SharePoint Services (WSS): offers basic functionalities and content management for your website.
- Microsoft Office SharePoint Server (MOSS): offers additional functions based on the underlying WSS layer as well as solutions for the end user. This version makes communication with archives and storage locations possible.
- Microsoft Search Server: acts as a search engine for organisations and offers extensive possibilities for indexing and search.
Article continues under image
How to use Microsoft SharePoint
Microsoft calls SharePoint itself a solution for Enterprise Content Management (ECM) and Business Process Management (BPM) and is used by companies to create social networks and BI environments, to integrate systems and processes and to automate workflows.
Microsoft has various SharePoint products and technologies, including:
- SharePoint Online – a cloud service hosted by Microsoft; companies can subscribe to Office 365 to create their own site that can be shared.
- SharePoint Foundation – the primary technology for SharePoint websites.
- SharePoint Server – contains functions and possibilities for implementation and management on location.
- SharePoint Designer – intended to design, build and customize SharePoint websites, web pages and process solutions. You can build anything from content management systems for small project management teams to portals with dashboards for large organisations.
- SharePoint Workspace – enables offline collaboration by disconnecting content from the network. Changes are later synchronized with the SharePoint website.
- SkyDrive Pro folder synchronization – synchronizes offline versions of a SharePoint website with a folder on your PC.
Teams can use MS SharePoint by registering for Office 365 and then opening the SharePoint environment. Colleagues can join in the conversation. They can view updates of activities via the Newsfeed.
SkyDrive Pro is a personal online document library that can be shared with team members and accessed from mobile devices. Employees can open, search, follow and create sites. Via the settings, they can also perform extra actions and adjust websites as desired.
Tech-Wales SharePoint Consultancy
We provide SharePoint Consultancy and Training all over the UK, Wales and South Wales. Our fully trained engineers can set up your SharePoint environment for you business and add value to your IT network. We offer excellent customer services to ensure your SharePoint network works for your business and connects people and departments. Feel free to contact us now to discuss.